The NZ Fellowship of Artists was established in November 1946 by six artists who paid an annual subscription of one guinea. By 1952 membership had increased to 105 with exhibitions held in several Auckland locations including John Courts and Milne Choyce.
In December 1964 the Kelliher Art Competition was set up. Talented members gained awards in this competition including Arthur Hipwell, Leonard Mitchell, Peter McIntyre, Owen Leed, David Barker, Cedric Savage, Austin Deans, Emerson Porter and Douglas Badcock.
In 1967 the Fellowship obtained their first premises then moved two years later to the second floor of His Majesty`s Arcade in Queen Street. The Fellowship expanded to level three of the same building to provide room for tutoring. Her Royal Highness, Princess Alexandra and the Honourable Angus Ogilvy attended an exhibition in 1971 where they were presented with a painting of Government House by Heinze Boehnke.
Further exhibitions were held at the Farmers Trading Company and were attended by Mayors Sir Dove Myer Robinson and Dame Catherine Tizard, At that time up to 350 paintings were often sold during a weekend. His Majesty’s Theatre was demolished in 1987 and the Fellowship moved to Dominion Road in Balmoral.
The Fellowship has leased its present premises at 27A Poronui St. Mt Eden, Nicholson Park since 1999, the building having been used previously as a Scout Hall. The building was upgraded and a kitchen and office installed to complement the Gallery and Studio space.
Today the membership stands at around 120 amateur and professional artists.